1. Warm-up: "What are you alluding to, police officer?" : SAT List 8 vocabulary review using dialogue
- First, create a "voice" for your character. How would this character speak? What kinds of verbal tics would he (or she) have? What kinds of things would this character say?
- Imagine a situation in which your two characters would meet.
- Create a dialogue between these two characters using EIGHT of your List 8 vocabulary words.
2. Overview of the purpose of dialogue; revising yesterday's memoirs
- What inferences could a reader make about your personality based on this dialogue?
- What inferences could a reader make about your friend, parent, etc. from this dialogue?
- Where and how could you strengthen the voices in this dialogue?
- Add descriptions in between the pieces of dialogue to create the entire scene, thinking about:
- Physical description of characters (clothes, hair, skin, posture, etc.)
- Gestures and movement
- Thoughts (what's NOT said out loud)
HW: Finish reading Chapters 7, 8, 9 and 10 by tomorrow, remembering your annotation focus; prepare for tomorrow's fishbowl discussion; study your vocabulary words for Friday's quiz.