Focus: To what extent is family a part of a person's identity?
1. Memoir warm-up:
- Tell the story of a typical (or special) day with your family. Try to include dialogue to reveal the nature of your relationships with your mom, dad, siblings, stepparents, etc. Remember that you're trying to immerse the reader in a three-dimensional universe by using your five senses.
- As you write, show the reader what roles your family members play in your life so that anyone could pick up this piece of memoir and have a vivid glimpse of your family's inner-workings.
- *An extra challenge for the brave and bold*: Try creating a metaphor for a member of your family that illustrates this person's role in your life. Example: "My mother was a lighthouse, guiding us safely to shore when we started drifting away from each other."
1. Essay grammar revisions due Wednesday.
2. Finish reading and annotating A Long Way Gone for this Thursday's final fishbowl discussion.
3. Start reviewing your vocabulary for this Thursday's cumulative test, which will cover all words from SAT Lists 1-9.
4. Essay content revisions due Friday (conference recommended).